Friday, February 17, 2012

Burden of Dreams







This was the biggest cluster fu*k of a film production crew I have ever seen. Watching Herzog, in his 1982 doc, Burden of Dreams, speak Peruvian to the natives of Peru was impressive to say the least. His drive and sheer will power to truck through this god forsaken movie was nothing short of inspiring. At one point he told his audience, even if he was told by film critics that his film was brilliant and amazing and the best film that they have ever seen, he wouldn't believe it. It's horrible. He hates everything about Fitzcarraldo. He said if there is a devil he lives here in Peru. HAHHAHA!! Thank you Werner, after watching Burden, I feel like I can do anything, if I really hated it enough.

Werner Herzog: [On the jungle] Kinski always says it's full of erotic elements. I don't see it so much erotic. I see it more full of obscenity. It's just - Nature here is vile and base. I wouldn't see anything erotical here. I would see fornication and asphyxiation and choking and fighting for survival and... growing and... just rotting away. Of course, there's a lot of misery. But it is the same misery that is all around us. The trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. I don't think they - they sing. They just screech in pain. It's an unfinished country. It's still prehistorical. The only thing that is lacking is - is the dinosaurs here. It's like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever... goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It's a land that God, if he exists has - has created in anger. It's the only land where - where creation is unfinished yet. Taking a close look at - at what's around us there - there is some sort of a harmony. It is the harmony of... overwhelming and collective murder. And we in comparison to the articulate vileness and baseness and obscenity of all this jungle - Uh, we in comparison to that enormous articulation - we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half-finished sentences out of a stupid suburban... novel... a cheap novel. We have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery and overwhelming fornication... overwhelming growth and overwhelming lack of order. Even the - the stars up here in the - in the sky look like a mess. There is no harmony in the universe. We have to get acquainted to this idea that there is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But when I say this, I say this all full of admiration for the jungle. It is not that I hate it, I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment.

Side note: I think Mark Brown of the East Browners and Werner Herzog are of the same lineage. There must be some relation if they are not the same person. A new conspiracy theory must be submitted in regards to this matter. TBD.

No comments:

Post a Comment